Thursday 1 July 2010

Lemons


Being ill recently, I've been asking numerous questions (to no one in particular). Yesterday, I received a call from Aunty J, an indigenous elder from one of the communities I've had the privilege of working in. I met Aunty J almost 6 years ago while I was conducting an environmental programme in several communities within the region. I contracted a bout of the chicken pox. She kept me in her home for a month so she could heal me and I could recuperate. We spent many days together; countless hours talking and connecting. She taught, while I listened (and slept!).

Aunty J said she felt the urge to speak with me. I haven't spoken to Aunty J in over 3 months, mainly due to my travels in the field. She reiterated the story of a fellow villager who recently had "stomach cramps", which was later diagnosed as gallstones. The villager's husband conducted a mini-experiment with the gallstones after it was removed, using lemons to dissolve the calcified stones. Another villager, diagnosed with the same condition, and upon hearing of the mini-experiment, started drinking the lemon juice, 3 times per day. His troublesome gallstones have apparently 'disappeared'. Coming from anyone else, I'd probably have put it down to sheer luck.

Later that day, I had a doctor's appointment, with no clear answers and more contradictions to my own condition. Thus begun the waiting game. I felt helpless and needed more information on my options for treatment. My father started orchestrating his own mini-research. He came across numerous homeopathy treatment and in most cases they contained........(wait for it).....lemons!

Sometimes the Universe brings the information we need via persons whom we cannot ignore (in spite of all the stubbornness). The synchronicity of it all!

3 comments:

  1. drink up lots of lemonade then!!!

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemons! They even smell clean and healthy.
    Your blog is cool, I really like your template too. I came over from Nancy's blog, I have two blogs, an everyday one and one a record of my spiritual experiences. Pop in if you like, I'll put some lemon tea on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cris and Natalie! I like your blog, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete