Tuesday 20 July 2010

Made in China

A friend of mine was recently watching the Tyra Banks Show, informing me that we can now purchase hymens from China. After falling off my chair laughing, curiosity got the better of me and I went online to see what this benevolent thing looked like. Lo and behold! I found the sacred hymen (or at least its look-alike).

Apparently, women can now "revirginate" themselves using this US$29 artificial hymen. Sold by Gigimo, a Chinese company and described as “soluble and expandable”, the pouch is placed in the vagina about 20 minutes before sex. The hymen then squirts a blood-looking liquid when penetrated (where US$29 is too expensive, I reckon you can grab a handful of ketchup packets from your local burger joint and no one would know the difference). Importantly though, I can see how this 'sex toy' (as this is what it is being sold as) can be life saving for women living in countries and societies where honour killings are still prevalent.

Like most things in our lives, our hymens are now 'Made in China'.

No comments:

Post a Comment