Monday 5 July 2010

The Audacity of Stupidity


People do really stupid things sometimes. It's a fact of life and more often than we care to admit. The worse part is that you never know when these moments of verbal and physical "diarrhea" will sneak up on you. After the devilish deed is done, you wish the ground would open and swallow you whole as facing the embarrassment is worse than going to hell and meeting Satan himself. This has led me to my theory that we're similar to elephants in this regard. People like elephants never forget, especially stupid and embarrassing acts of others. They'll forget your telephone number, your birthday and even your name, but they'll never forget that day you made a disconcerted spectacle of yourself. Pity hindsight happens more often than foresight.

I've had my share of idiotic moments. Such as hitching a ride home from a high school party with a guy I had a crush on and then blurting out in my drunken stupor that I'm a virgin. He was saying WTF too (and no he didn't get lucky). Or visiting someone who proclaimed to have psychic powers to tell me if my then-ex was going to return to me, and wasting hard-earned cash (the fake ones cannot predict the future, so they might as well make you feel good). Or falling in love with someone who deceived you several times while convincing you it was your entire fault.

These acts committed in ever-reoccurring stupidity may be there to teach you something about yourself and others. It may teach you to be aware of your limits while aiming for the sky, the importance of spending wisely, and to honour and trust yourself. It is said that you can never hide from regret or remorse. I would like to believe that a lesson learned should never be something to regret despite the circumstances under which you have learnt it.

1 comment:

  1. I've had more than my share of "foot in my mouth" moments... :p The "think first, talk second" thing is hard to do!

    ReplyDelete