Sunday 27 June 2010

2010 World Cup


Today, I continued to watch the World Cup. Yes, I'm a football fan. Cheering and jumping like a raving lunatic and happier than Mickey Mouse at a May parade.

It's dismal to say the least that my country is no where near the qualifying mark. We lack eye-limb coordination and all other brain necessities required for sports. Though if we did ACTUALLY qualify, i.e. the team we were playing against all suddenly dropped off the planet, the President would immediately declare it a national holiday and party for one month, ensuring that all the players were invited and their exercise regime consisted solely of raising their rum glasses to their lips.

If the World Cup suddenly morphed into a drinking contest, then you'll be stumped. We'll beat you hands down and still walk out the door sober. We're unofficially qualifying for the mythical "Drunkards of the Millennia" Award with the Irish.

So my pick for 2010 World Cup is either Argentina or Brasil. It's definitely a South American thing for me.

Argentina because Messi and Higuian are great players. I love how Diego Maradona gives bear hugs to all his players. No doubt Barcelona will miss having Messi in their team but so much more for us, South Americans who need to come together and celebrate (not that there's a shortage of parties or reasons for them: it's Wednesday, Screw Work, My period is over).

Brasil because they've got Robhinho and Elano. Simply said.

So come July 11, I'll be here, like all the dysfunctional people, raving for Argentina or Brazil. VAMOS Argentina y Brasil!!!

2 comments:

  1. No love for CHile?!?!?! Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! :p

    Nope, this is finally going to be the year for ESPAÑA!!! ohé! ohé! ohé! ohééééééé!!!

    It's amazing how the world goes crazy every four years over this round ball and a couple dozen players running around a grassy field... I know it puzzles most people in the US! They can't seem to grasp World Cup fever. I was bitten by the bug as a kid with Italy'90, and the fever burnt like a raging forest fire in USA'94 (thx to living in Mexico DF where football fever is the highest I've seen it!). Now it's like a dormant virus... wakes up every 4 years but in between times I could care less about the sport! Well, sometimes the intervening 2 year-period might catch my interest (Eurocup or Olympics).

    Huh, I just checked the charts... this should please you! If both teams make it all the way through you should have a South American Final!!! Brazil-Argentina!!! How will you choose then? ;o)

    But I'm counting on Spain knocking out Argentina in the semi-finals! After we deal with Portugal in the round of 16 and Paraguay or Japan in the 1/4f... ohé! ohé! ohé! ohééééééé!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I may have to write a retraction as both of my teams have lost :((( Congrats to Spain for reaching the semi-finals!

    "Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win" - Gary Lineker

    ReplyDelete