Saturday 25 September 2010

Forgiveness


I read a paragraph a few days ago and thought it very enlightening. I'd like to share it with you here. It's about forgiveness and the process we tend and need to go through.

"Why is it hard to forgive others? Usually because we believe that they are 90% to blame for the problem, that I am not as bad as they are. So I start to carry the load of other people's actions. If my ego is too hurt, I will have the sense of correction, of justice: 'I know I am right', 'That is not fair'. But if I start to forgive from the heart, sincerely, I remain humble and this forgiveness will bring me closer to others. Then I do not carry regrets or anger, I just let go and remain light."

Forgiveness doesn't mean that you deny the other person's responsibility for hurting you, and it doesn't minimize or justify the wrong. Forgiving someone isn't about them, it's about you. It's about you gaining some balance of yourself back on that particular situation where you've been hurt or angry. I was once told I was 99% to be blamed for the failure of a relationship, and I blamed that person in return for his shortcomings. We've all been on both sides of the coin: we've been furious and hurt by others and we've also hurt or annoyed someone, so forgiving is not just for the few, but for the masses.

Forgiving someone is a decision that you make to yourself to embrace peace, hope, gratitude and joy for you.

1 comment:

  1. Very true. I found it takes me a while to work through to that point, but I always get there. :)

    ReplyDelete